At the Scene
- Remain calm and don’t panic. Take slow, deep breaths.
- Move your car to the side of the road and turn on hazard lights, if it’s drivable.
- Call 911 if anyone is injured.
- Call the police to file an accident report.
Information to Exchange
- Names, contact info, insurance details of all drivers involved
- Driver’s license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Photos of accident scene, vehicle damage, injuries
- Get names and contact info of any witnesses to the accident
What Not to Do
- Do not admit fault or speculate about what happened
- Only provide factual details to the police
Next Steps After Leaving the Scene
- Notify your insurance provider about the accident ASAP
- Seek medical attention even if you don’t think you were injured
- Document all details you remember about the accident
- Save all documentation related to the accident
Insurance Claims Process
- Fully cooperate with your insurance adjuster
- Follow all claim instructions from your provider
- Consider consulting an attorney if claims process is complicated
Seeking Medical Care
- Look out for symptoms of shock or concussion after accident
- Get checked by a doctor even if you think you weren’t injured